August 16, 2010

So, Who's Gonna Take Care of Me?

I found myself asking this question during my morning Bible study (John 13), as I was convicted to become less self-seeking, rather kinder and more attentive towards others. As Jesus stooped down to wash his disciples dirty, grubby feet, what was he thinking? "This will teach them. Maybe now tomorrow they'll wash mine and give me a break!" I kind of doubt this was Jesus' attitude toward his service. Washing the disciples' feet was most certainly an example for the disciples, but he wasn't telling them appreciation would be returned if they served others. John 13: 17, "Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them." Blessed by others? It doesn't say that.  I'm going to throw out there, Jesus means spiritual blessings. We are blessed when we obey God, simply for the sake of bringing glory to His name! As I try and teach my children to obey me, it's difficult to instill in them the reason they should obey. They sort of understand they should obey because it makes mommy happy, but at this point, it's not a huge motivator for them. I think it's the same for me! As much as I desire to please my Heavenly Father by obeying Him, I find myself more motivated to serve and love others in order to have them treat me a certain way in return. Who's gonna take care of me, if I'm running around serving everybody else?  I have a feeling most wives/mothers have asked this question!
I am reminded of the Proverbs 31 Woman. She was so focused on others, she was blessed by God, and He satisfied her. She did not worry about herself. Now, I wouldn't advocate not taking care of yourself to the point of being un-showered, out of shape, sickly... you get the idea. We are called to take care of our bodies, the temple of the Holy Spirit, yet we are not called to worship ourselves.
We need not say, Who's gonna take care of me? If we are trusting in our Heavenly Father to supply all of our needs, He will! He does not fail. He may not do for us everything we ever desire, but just as we do not give our children everything they ever want, He does what He knows is best for us.
So what is our motivation for loving others in a Christlike way? Simply (however, not so simple) to bring glory and honor to the name of our Lord and Savior. That is it.

I challenge you reader, love on your family and friends today to bring glory and honor to God! That's it! Do not put expectations on them. Just love them because "A new command I give you: Love one another. [...] By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:34-35.

No comments: