August 21, 2010

But, What About Them, Lord?

In Shannon Ethridge's book, "Every Woman's Marriage," she talks about 'making comparisons' as one of women's biggest battles in life!

Apparantly the Apostle Peter had the same battle, (John 21) because as Jesus was trying to tell him to minister to others, Peter asks Jesus "Well, what about Him, Lord?" as he points to John. To which Jesus responds, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?" (Jn 21:22)

God's plan for others' lives is none of our business. God has a special plan for each of us, and we are not to compare. He has his own special purpose for His glory. "If I do 'such-and-such' for 'so-and-so, what is that to you? Follow me!" We are not to concern ourselves with comparing God's plan for our own life to His plan for another. "Just follow me" He says. Be obedient.

How often do we get sidetracked away from being obedient because we are focused on someone else's life?
-Why are they receiving those blessings?
-I wanted to do that.
-I wanted that blessing.

Now we are told to mourn with those who mourn and rejoice with those who rejoice, but when it comes down to following Jesus in what He's called us to do this very day, irregardless of what we see others doing, how are we doing?

"But my eyes are fixed on you, O Sovereign Lord; in you I take refuge" -- Ps. 141.8

No comments: