October 22, 2008

Homemade Chai Tea Concentrate

In the last while I have taken a liking to chai lattes or frappes before bed during my son's final nighttime feeding. I find chai tea so comforting!

Instead of buying those expensive tetra packs of chai concentrate from the store, I decided to try and make my own version today! To my delight, it worked out great! And was SUPER EASY! I will definitely keep this one on hand. :)

Karina's Chai Tea Concentrate
1 1/2 C Water
1 1/2 C Milk (I use skim milk)
10 "Stash" Chai Tea bags
1/2 C Honey

Bring milk and water to a boil on the stove, while heating add honey. Once boiling, remove from heat and add tea bags. Steep for 5 minutes.

Remove tea bags and pour concentrate into an icecube tray and FREEZE, or store in your refrigerator without freezing.

To make, use 3 cubes per 8oz drink and add 1 cup of hot milk. Sweeten if you wish.

Karina's Chai Frappe Recipe
Banana
6 iced chai tea cubes
1 Cup Milk
1 TB Honey
1/8 tsp Cinnamon
Add ingredients to blender and blend to a smoothie consistency.
Makes about 2 servings.

I do not have cardamom spice on hand right now, so I haven't tried to make my own chai from scratch. That will be my next venture. For now, I favour "Stash" chai tea blend. It is spicy, and delicious!

What are your comfort teas? Do you make your own tea from scratch? I'd love to hear your recipes. Leave a comment.

2 comments:

Z. said...

This is cool! I found your entry while exploring ways to blend my own chai mix for gifts for teachers and coworkers and such; this might not work as well for that, but YUM--I'm going to make some for myself! What a wonderful idea! Thanks for the thoughts.

The Barbers said...

Glad you enjoyed this idea. :)