March 8, 2009

Tot School Update

Despite the lack of posts pertaining to tot school and my adventures in learning new things with my soon-to-be 3-year-old, there hasn't been an actual lack of learning in our house. I would say it hasn't been very structured lately, but who needs structure when they're 2 right?!

We continue to visit the library frequently. If not every time our books are due back, every week or so we are in the library perusing the children's isles in search of interesting and fun books to read together. My daughter's love for books is so encouraging to me, and I can only hope my son will also foster a little love for them as well. Lately, I have tried holding him in my lap while we read, and he is content to sit and listen...sort of. Except his curious little hands get in the way a little too much sometimes. To the point of frustration for me and his sister most of the time!

I have started a little tradition in our home, which I hope will grow into a fond memory for my daughter and other children some day. Because of the incredibly LONG time it takes her to eat lunch (or any meal, for that matter) I have started reading longer stories to her, advanced picture books, beginner novels? We are working through the classic Winnie-the-Pooh stories right now, and she is thrilled. The lack of pictures doesn't seem to bother her, as she is usually pre-occupied with eating her lunch or breakfast.

My daughter has also reached another important milestone in her academic development! Recently, she has started drawing people. It all started with mommy drawing large circles and asking her to fill in eyes and nose and a smile, and then before I knew it, she was adding arms and legs to these "heads." Her little people drawings are so cute. I'm sure every mommy can relate to my pride.

She has learned how to spell her name. She has yet to identify the letters in her name on paper, but she can spell it outloud if you ask her.

So, mommy is proud, daughter is proud, and both are having fun. I am looking forward to the years of learning ahead of us. What a joy it will be to see my children learn new skills, discover stories in books, and (oh, I pray) serve the Lord with all of their hearts, souls, and minds.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I love Winnie the Pooh! Marc read it to me when I was sick before we were dating. That's how I knew he was hooked!