September 28, 2007

Luke 22:31-32

"Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers." Luke 22:31-32 NIV

Satan wanted to test the disciples, hoping to bring them to spiritual ruin. (NIV text note)

How fitting to read this small passage after yesterday's devotions about the famine and how God ordains events in our lives for specific purposes. Even though it may be difficult to remember this truth during those trying circumstances, or "famines" in our lives, we are reminded of this as soon as we open our Bibles and allow the Spirit to minister to us in our hardships.

I recently felt as though I'd failed at giving my burdens to God. It has been an ongoing process, and one that I've desperately wanted to hand over to Him and trust Him with. Something happened that made me feel as though, no, I had never handed Him that burden, I've been holding on to it the entire time. I am encouraged to remember, that is exactly the tactic Satan uses in our lives. He is the king of deception. As soon as we decide to take a stand on something, Satan attacks us and makes us feel as though we never really took that stand. It is pure deception, lies, something we shouldn't feel trapped by. I know I handed that burden over to God, and He will give me the strength I need to trust Him in this. Without Him, I am nothing, and can do nothing. Satan has no real power over me. Jesus Christ conquered Him at the cross. Amen!

God has chosen us to serve Him and to live our lives for Him; therefore, it's only by His strength we can accomplish anything.

No comments: