November 3, 2010

Sourdough




This is bread I baked this morning from a sourdough starter my mom gave me while we were visiting them last week! The starter is amazing; I have never used starter that actually rises well and gives the bread a true 'sourdough' flavor. Since reading up on sourdough bread I have learned that it is actually very good for you despite being made from white flour, which we typically think of being 'less healthful.' Sourdough bread contains good bacteria and also has a low glycemic index, which means it won't spike your blood sugar. Whole grain breads, I have just learned actually do spike your blood sugar and leave you feeling hungry shortly after, not to mention the plummeting energy level.

 The two breads could probably be debated about which is better, but this one sure tastes yummy!

1 comment:

Michael Eckert said...

yum, I really want a bite of that!!