March 9, 2010

Homemade Rice Milk

This is a super easy rice milk recipe! If you are trying to stay away from dairy products, I wouldn’t recommend substituting it for cow’s milk completely since there’s no added protein, and it isn’t fortified with vitamins. However, Faith enjoys drinking it every now and then, and I have been spoon-feeding a little rice milk to Joyanne twice a day. It can be used as a dairy substitute in smoothies or on your cereal or porridge in the morning.  I haven’t tried it in tea or coffee, but hey, if you’re adventurous… why not?
 IMG_7963
1/2 C cooked Brown Rice
2 C Water
2 T Sweetener (sugar/agave/honey optional)
Vanilla to taste (optional)
Makes approx. 3 Cups
Blend in the VitaMix for 2 to 3 minutes, until completely smooth. Store in the refrigerator. Shake well before using.
If you don’t have a VitaMix, you can use a normal blender, but you may want to strain the milk through cheesecloth or a fine sieve so it isn’t pulpy. The VitaMix is a master at literally pulverizing the grains so the texture is similar to milk.
None of my family is lactose intolerant. That is not why I experimented with this recipe. I was going to make baby rice cereal because the past couple of weeks Joyanne has gone from sleeping nearly 12 hours through the night, to waking up a couple of times! So, rather than introducing rice cereal, I thought I would try her on this rice milk with a spoon. She is excited to see the spoon and smiles like crazy as I try to spoon the liquid into her mouth!

No comments: