January 26, 2010

Basic Fundamental Lesson

I have been slowly working through a series called "Seeking Him" on Revive Our Hearts, and it has come to a section on obedience.

One of the quotes that struck me:

Helen Keller & Anne Sullivan

"I saw clearly that it was useless to try to teach Helen language or anything else until she learned to obey me. I thought about it a great deal, and the more I think, the more certain I am that obedience is the gateway through which knowledge, yes, and love, too, enter the mind of the child." Anne Sullivan (Helen Keller's instructor)

The only way we can experience God's blessing in our lives is by obedience to His Word. We can know God, and know His love for us, when we walk in obedience.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

It's interesting that the quote says that obedience is the gateway through which knowledge enters the mind of a child. I wonder why the two are paired together.

Though I do love God's blessings, I've found lately that the learning he imparts to us to stretch us can be just as rewarding for me as long as I remember to listen for his voice and obey.

The Barbers said...

One explanation for pairing obedience with knowledge may be that in order to be obedient we have to submit our will, and when we are submissive we are in a frame of mind to learn? Just a thought.
I believe those stretching circumstances are often blessings in disguise. :)

The Barbers said...

Wow, that was a terrible response! Bad sentence :) What I should have said was, "when we are obedient, we can learn!" For instance, you only really gain knowledge from your beekeeping books when you implement, or obey, what they say to do or not to do.