May 28, 2009

TRUTH Part 3

I have found these truths to be foundational in Christian living. I think I will be revisiting this Bible study again in the coming months. I hope you have been encouraged or even challenged by some of them. If you are interested in some of the material I've posted from the Bible study, contact me, or visit Revive Our Hearts and have a look at all of Nancy Leigh DeMoss' resources.

Truth #11 God's word is sufficient to lead me, teach me, and heal me
Psalm 19:7 "The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making the wise simple."
Psalm 107:20 "He sent forth his word and healed them; he rescued them from the grave."
Psalm 119:105 "Your word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path."

Whatever our need, whatever our circumstance, God's word is powerful enough to meet that need in that place. The Bible is widely viewed as just another resource among many to help people. But God's word is alive and powerful, able to lead heal and teach. People around us who are hurting or are confused, don't need to hear our opinions; they need to hear what Scripture says; His commands, His promises, His ways.

Truth #12 Through the power of His Holy Spirit, God will enable me to do anything He commands me to do.
1 Thes. 5:24 "The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it."
Phil. 2:13 "for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to His good purposes."

Truth #13 I am responsible before God for my behavior, responses, and choices
Ezekiel 18:19-22 "Yet you ask, 'Why does the son not share the guilt of his father?' Since the son has done what is just and right and has been careful to keep all my decrees, he will surely live. The soul who sins is the one who will die. The son will not share the guilt of the father, nor will the father share the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous man will be credited to him, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against him.
"But if a wicked man turns away from all the sins he has committed and keeps all my decrees and does what is just and right, he will surely live; he will not die. None of the offenses he has committed will be remembered against him. Because of the righteous things he has done, he will live."

We do not have to be victims. We can stop blaming others for our sinful behavior and responses. We are not accountable for anyone elses actions except our own. Isn't that freeing?

Truth #14 I will reap whatever I sow
Gal. 6:7-8 "Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life."

Ever heard the phrase, "garbage in, garbage out"? Every choice I have made as a young person and an adult has lasting consequences, good or bad depending on the choice. Every act of selfish sinful behavior, reaps a multiplied harvest for me to experience and sometimes for others to be affected by. On the other hand, every act of selfless obedience to Christ also sows seeds that will reap a multiplied harvest of blessings for me and others to experience in my lifetime and sometimes even generations to come.

Truth #15 The pathway to true joy is to relinquish control
Matthew 16:25 "For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it."
Luke 1:38 "I am the Lord's servant," Mary answered. "May it be to me as you have said." Then the angel left her.
1 Peter 5:7 "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."

Every woman, especially, is plagued with the desire to control: their husbands, their circumstances, their children. Even the quietest "passive" woman desires to control. This control manifests itself in worrying about situations, becoming disappointed when others don't meet our expectations, or wanting to manipulate people, or to 'fix' our husbands. The only way to experience true freedom is give it over to God. To let God be God. He is in ultimate control of the universe, and when I am hanging on to this area, I am actually competing for His job.

No comments: