May 27, 2009

TRUTH Part 2

As promised, here are some more of God's truths we find in Scripture to combat those lies that we too often believe.

Truth #6 God doesn't make mistakes
Isaiah 46:10 "I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say: My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please."

It seems to me, in my life, not much goes the way I expect at first. I didn't expect that my first house would be a true fixer-upper and we would spend literally four years rebuilding it from the inside out. I didn't expect I would be considering going overseas to be on the mission field with small children and my husband, I didn't expect that my husband's father would die merely 6 months into our marriage, I didn't expect marriage or parenting would actually be as challenging as I've found it to be! Other people with more life experience can probably add to this minor list. I think I am learning that God purposes instances in our lives to change and mold us for His glory and purpose. We may not understand our circumstances, or why something is the way it is, but God has a purpose in it. Remember, He can be trusted? He is orchestrating things in our lives for a purpose, not to thwart our plans, or to make things difficult for us.

Truth #7 God's grace is sufficient for me
2 Cor. 12:9 "But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."

God gives me the power I need for today, today. Whatever is coming tomorrow or next or 10 years from, His grace will be sufficient to carry me through those times. God does not expect me to live my life alone and in my own strength. No. In fact, He desires me to rely on Him for strength, He desires to show me His grace and might in my life when I am weak.

Truth #8 The blood if Christ is sufficient to cover all my sins
1 John 1:7 "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin."

There is no sin too big to be covered by Christ's sacrifice. His sacrifice paid the price for ALL sin. I don't have to live with guilt from past failures and sins because Christ's sacrifice has freed me from it and allowed me to have fellowship with Him. The devil will try and remind me of past sins causing me to feel as though I have to 'do' something to find forgiveness, but the truth is Jesus' blood paid for it all, I am free; the debt is paid, that is that.

Truth #9 The cross of Christ is sufficient to cover my sinful flesh
Romans 6:6-7 "For we know that our old self was crucified with Him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin--because anyone who has died has been freed from sin."

I am no longer controlled by sin or a slave to sin, but I can choose by the power of the Holy Spirit within me to do the right thing.

Truth #10 My past does not have to plague me
1 Cor. 6:9-11 "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."

I have been washed clean of my past. I'll be honest here and say that I thought I haven't struggled too much with this lie and truth because I grew up in a Christian home and accepted Christ at a really young age and didn't do the typical rebellious things one might expect teens to do. I "tried" to rebel, but the consequences of certain behaviors really scared me away from actually doing anything terrible. However, I'm not claiming self-righteousness here. Notice in the verse he names 'idolaters,' 'greedy,' 'slanderers,' and 'swindlers.' At first glance I read those words surrounded by the other more terrible-sounding ones like drunkards, homosexuals, wicked... and stop. I am guilty of idolatry! I have placed people or things, or even activities, higher than God at times in my life. Anything that replaces God as my head is an idol. I am guilty of being greedy or covetous. I have desired a bigger and better house, I have wished for more money to buy things, I have been covetous for experiences or vacations. I am guilty of slander. My tongue has been misused terribly. And I have cheated or swindled thinking it would be easier or benefit me somehow. Okay, so it doesn't matter that I accepted Christ when I was 4, it doesn't matter that I was raised in a Christian home. BUT, praise the Lord, my sins have been covered and I don't have to plagued by them. I am washed clean. I have the Holy Spirit within me to help me not be greedy or idolatrous or slanderous, or to swindle or cheat.

No comments: