March 3, 2009

I Have Hidden Your Word in My Heart...

I have hidden your Word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. Ps 119:11

Memorizing Bible verses was a regular practice for me as a child. We were very involved with a children's church club, AWANA, which focuses on Bible memory. If a child cycled through this program, they may spend up to 10 or 12 years memorizing key verses of the Bible! After AWANA ran its course in my childhood, there was Bible Quizzing, another memory program that incorporated verse memory with competition and travel.

Now as a wife and mother, I have to admit I've had little time to devote to Bible memory... actually, let's be honest: I haven't made time to devote to Bible memory. Time will never come on its own; it just won't happen. A very close friend of mine has encouraged me with a new way of memorizing Bible verses. She suggested writing out the first letter of every word in the verse and then reading it over and over scratching out letters until it's memorized. I can't believe how wonderful this method works! I have been so encouraged, and blessings ALWAYS come with hiding God's word in our hearts.

A couple of websites related to verse memory:
http://www.answersincreation.org/scripturememory.htm Answers in Genesis
http://www.memoryverses.org/ Scripture Memory Connection

No comments: