March 6, 2009

Chili in a Bread Bowl

This bread bowl was made using the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day method. The chili was made in my slow cooker.
Since learning about this method, I always have dough sitting in my fridge ready to be taken out and baked off whenever we're craving an artisan-type bread.
The master recipe is as follows:
1 1/2 T Salt
1 1/2 Yeast
3 C Warm Water
6 C All purpose Flour
Stir this together in a large bowl that can be loosely covered. (Not an airtight container) Stir just until there are no dry spots in the dough. This will be so wet, it would be impossible to knead with your hands.
Let it rest in the fridge for at least 5 hours before grabbing a piece to form into a small grapefruit sized round. Allow to rise for 20 minutes to an hour. Slash with a serrated knife and bake on a preheated baking stone at 450 degrees for approximately 25 minutes.
This mixture can sit in your fridge for weeks! The longer it sits, the more sourdough-like characteristics it takes on.
Check out their website for more recipes using this master dough recipe.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Thank you for posting this. Maybe I can finally try it. I'm actually waiting for a flour delivery from costco. No they don't delivery. But my in-laws may... So perhaps I'll try it when I'm back to an abundance of flower.

Also, love your new look!

xoxo