February 2, 2009

Sourdough Starter


A year or two ago, I made a sourdough starter and let it die rather quickly! In fact, I don't know if I had truly achieved an active starter in the first place.

Two days ago, I mixed together a fresh starter and this one is turning out MUCH different than my last. It is so exciting! :)
This starter was made by:
1. Mixing 1 C warm water with 1 C unbleached all-purpose flour
2. Left in a warm place (20-30 degrees C) with a small opening in the lid to let air in and out
3. Fed every 24 hours by throwing out half of the starter and mixing in 1/2 C warm water with 1/2 C flour
Tips:
1. Do not mix starter with any metal utensils. Doing so may kill the bacteria that grows.
2. Do not let sit in a zone higher than 100 degrees F. That may also kill the starter.

1 comment:

Michael Eckert said...

I made starter for quite a while, but haven't lately. Ive just been making spelt bread for a while now.
I used potato water for my starter at the begining and tried a few different flours at random times throught keeping it.
if you put it in the fridge it goes dormant but comes back whenever you take it out.