January 24, 2009

Homemade Chicken Stock

I recently bought three whole chickens and cut them all up as soon as I got home from the grocery store. I separated all of the different parts and froze them in 5 individual bags (thighs / wings / breasts / legs / carcass).

I still can't believe the savings! For $18, I froze 6 thighs, 6 breasts, 6 legs, 6 wings, and 3 carcasses! When comparing a package of 6 boneless/skinless chicken breasts for $20 to this, it's a no-brainer.

I make my chicken stock in my 5qt. slow cooker, set on low overnight.
Onions
A bunch of carrots
A bunch of celery
Garlic Cloves
Peppercorns
Salt
Parsley at the end

Stock, after simmering on low in the slow cooker for about 12 hours.
This time I prepared enough vegetables to freeze with my other carcass for next time. This way, when I run out of chicken stock, I can just throw the contents of this bag into my slow cooker, and, voila! Chicken stock is simmering!









My stock after:
Removing the vegetables and carcass
Straining the stock through cheesecloth

I like to freeze stock in 1 cup portions.This is them getting ready to go into the freezer!

1 comment:

Michael Eckert said...

nicely done!!!!!!!!