October 2, 2008

New Favourite Breakfast!

When my DD started eating solid foods, I religiously fed her oatmeal, even though I could hardly stand the stuff myself. I figured it was the most inexpensive, yet most nutritious, breakfast I could offer her every morning. And the wonderful thing about it was, she never tired of it! In fact, it seemed to she loved it!

With the almost unbearably high price of commercial cereals on the market, I have decided to make oatmeal part of my breakfast routine as well. It is amazing how extravagant a simple of bowl of oatmeal can become! And to my surprise, I have come to love it too.

Our latest favourite variation of a simple bowl of oats is this:
1 serving cooked oatmeal (old fashioned oats is my personal favorite now)
1/4 serving of sunny boy (or Red River) cereal (I like to cook both oats and Red River in the same pot. The added texture of seeds (not to mention nutrition) makes it that much yummier)
1 tsp of butter or margarine
1 tsp of honey
1 dollop of plain low-fat yogurt
a few frozen blueberries (they quickly thaw once sprinkled on the oats)
1 tsp of unsalted sunflower seeds

I found this other fellow's blog about oatmeal, and he has some amazing oatmeal variations that I'm quite excited to try out as well! The blog website is: closetcooking.blogspot.com/2008/01/oatmeal.html

Do you have any favourite oatmeal variations to share? Let me know!
By the way, did you know instant oats are just old fashioned oats ground into smaller pieces so the water will absorb faster? I always buy the old fashioned oats (because I love using those in baking and when I make my own granola) and I grind up batches of it to use for instant oatmeal when we don't have time to boil it on the stovetop!

No comments: