February 12, 2008

February Focus

Philippians 3:1-21

I don't think it's any small coincidence that I find myself pouring through the tiny book of Philippians over and over again. I am continually blessed as the Holy Spirit reveals another facet of His Word that is applicable to my life at each given moment.

Our Garments
(verse 1-11) There is nothing we can do to earn righteous standing with Christ. We are to trust Him and that His sacrifice was complete. It is our righteous covering! "I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness," (Is. 61:10a NIV)

Our Inspiration
(verse 12-14) Because of what Christ has accomplished on our behalf, not because we deserved it or earned it in any way, shape, or form, Paul presses on to obey God more and more, out of love and thankfulness, in each moment. Paul never admits to attaining perfection, or a perfect relationship with Christ. He is always pursuing a deeper relationship with Christ. "Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead," (Phil. 3:13b NIV) Paul made some major mistakes in his life, as we all do, but that didn't stop him from trying to change his actions and become obedient to God. Each day is a new day! PTL

Our Focus
(verse 17-21) Paul's focus was on what is eternal. He bore earthly suffering and hardships because he remembered it wasn't his final home. Earth wasn't the end for him, and wasn't what ultimately mattered. His true citizenship was in heaven with Christ and other saints.

No comments: