May 29, 2007

May 29, 2007

John 13-14:14
v.15) "I have set for you an example that you should do as I have done for you." Jesus' act of washing their feet was an example of mutual submission. Being subject to another. I need to be in submission to my husband and his plans for our family; laying down my own selfish desires and taking care of the family with joy and gladness because this is what God calls me to do!
v.14:6) "Jesus answered, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'" Jesus clearly states in this verse that there is no other way to God and heaven. No amount of good works, no other person or sacrifice. It is by Jesus Christ and his death and resurrection alone that we are freed from sin and washed as white as snow.
v.14:14) "You may ask anything in my name and I will do it." Here Jesus tells us that we are 'agents of his will.' God has an overall plan, but he uses us to work it out and to be a part of it. It is our priviledge to seek God and His will and then obey Him in what He calls us to do as part of that plan.
1 Peter 2:16-17
"Live as free men": We are free from our sinful nature to submit to God and be part of his plan.
"Do not use freedom as a cover-up for evil": We have freedom to submit to God, not liberty to act however we want on this earth against any authority. We have been freed from living in darkness and the sin that held us tight.
"Live as servants of God": Now that I am free from my old sin nature and the darkness, I am free to serve god with my life! Not just on Sundays, or at Bible studies, but everyday all day. Serving God means obeying His word and seeking His will in each situation. As well, submitting to others; looking out for their interests and needs.
"Show proper respect to everyone": Not limited to believers or people that enjoy the same things we do. All humanity is created in the image of God.
"Love the brotherhood of believers": Attend church, and love people within the church. Care for each other, nurture them. We shouldn't be at odds with anyone in the church.
"Fear God": Live in fear of disappointing God. He has lavished grace and mercy upon us and saved us from eternal condemnation. Fear not obeying Him and living according to His will and plans He has made. He has already prepared good works for us to do! (Eph. 2:10)
"Honor the king": God wants us to obey our civil laws and authority. No authority is in existence that God hasn't allowed. All authority is dependant upon God, good or evil. God ordained the system of human government. (Rom. 13:2)

Psalm 55:22 "Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall."

No comments: