January 29, 2011

Being Tempted - Good Gifts

James 1:12-18 is the Scripture I focused on this week during the James study happening over at GoodMorningGirls.org.

These verses talk about temptation, and our own evil desires causing us temptation and being dragged away and then of course, birthing sin.

When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death." (Vs. 13-15)

This caused me to think about what my desires were that would be causing me temptation, thus leading to ungodliness and sin! Surprisingly, as I reflected on these verses, I found myself thinking on all of the expectations I place on others in my life and how that causes me to be tempted to feel certain ways that are sinful. I went through each category of people in my life, my children, my husband, my extended family, my friends, and even the church. If you're unsure of what I'm talking about - take for instance my expectation that my husband would anticipate and be more sensitive to my needs, thus helping out without me necessarily asking. Holding this expectation over him is setting myself up for disappointment, (not that he is completely insensitive), anger, feeling "owed", etc. It's inappropriate to expect him to live up to that expectation. He will fail me, as I will fail him.

As we begin to filter things through God's Word and put His thoughts into our minds, He changes and molds our desires to align into His design. James goes on to say in verses 16 and 17 Don't be deceived, my dear brothers and sisters. Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
As much as I may feel my desires are right, or appropriate, or maybe godly, don't be deceived! Every good thing comes from God. He will give me the desires of my heart as I align my thinking with His Word and His heart.

No comments: