October 7, 2010

Comfort for the Hurting

It seems there's a theme of 'comfort' going on here. I have had the opportunity to try and be a comfort to a hurting friend. I pray it was encouraging to her. It is during those times that I feel the most insecure, which is really terrible because I should be thinking about the other person, not myself and how I feel! Why should I worry about how insecure I feel! It is more about, how would this person like to be comforted? What if I say too much? Too little? What if they just want a hug? It is when us or our friends are hurting that we really know we can't or shouldn't be self-sufficient. We were designed for relationships.

This morning I read some of God's promises. So this is for the hurting woman out there. A woman who has experienced loss, or disappointment; the woman who needs God's comfort.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff they comfort me. (Ps. 23:4)
Show me your ways, O Lord teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long. (Ps. 25:4-5)
The Lord is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid? (Ps. 27:1)
Praise be to the Lord, for he has heard my cry for mercy. The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song. (Ps. 28:6-7)
O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when i sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.... you are familiar with all my ways. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Search me O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. (Ps. 139)


If you have a hurting friend, pray and ask God to show you how you may comfort her.

No comments: