July 18, 2009

My First Homeschool Curriculum

This is one milestone that I thought I MUST blog about. Now, I don't believe preschool to be required or necessary, but I was just far too anxious to start "doing" something with my preschool aged daughter that I went and purchased Sonlight's 2nd preschool program. This one is geared for children 4-5 years of age, so I know we will enjoy this program for at least a couple of years!


Now, I did hesitate at the price at first. This 30 pound box of goodies cost me about $350USD, but considering we will use these great books over and over again, I could justify it as an investment worth making!

If you've never heard of Sonlight before, head over to their website and take a look. If you are looking for a solid literature based program with Biblical undertones and emphasis on teaching your children to have a Christian worldview, it's a must-see.

I think any typical homeschooling mom will agree with me when I say I was too excited about these books to wait until September to start! So Faith and I dove in right away, and we are happily enjoying Week 2 of the curriculum. We are taking it slowly, only really 'doing school' on afternoons or mornings where we need something extra to do together. It's been wonderful for her. And for me... not the most creative mommy in the world, it's given me ideas for things to do with her too. I especially like that it's not overwhelming. A 'big' day of school only takes about 45 minutes to an hour, and it's so nice to have something for her and I to do alone together.

The most exciting part about this so far is seeing her energy and enthusiasm in regards to Bible memory. A memory verse is introduced at the beginning of each week, and I am completely amazed at her ability to memorize. (I have to say it's also helping ME memorize Bible verses, which is getting more and more difficult these days.)

I'll just add this too... another big reason I chose Sonlight over other programs, is because they have done all the planning for me. I'll admit I like to plan and organize, but the last thing I wanted was to start having to hunt for books and put a curriculum together myself. I know if I'd been left to gather their material for myself, I probably would have looked at some of the titles and said, "I don't think we'd look at that book enough to make it worth while." Now that I have all the books in my house, I'm so glad I bought the whole lot. I see it forcing me to introduce things I'm not so interested in to my children as well!




1 comment:

Our Father's Heartbeat said...

Sounds wonderful! I'm struggling with gathering books and coming up with creative ideas each week. How has Sonlight been working for you this past year? We have a 3.5, a 1.5 and another coming in April, so I don't mind investing in something to give the kids a good foundation.

Joanna