June 3, 2009

Let God

"The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still." -- Exodus 14:14
How many times do I go through a battle and try and find victory myself? I lose patience and want to solve the problem now, without waiting on God and seeking His Word. I have revisited Exodus this week and been reminded at how little faith the Israelites had. It`s easy for me to be judgmental of them. First, God summons Moses from a burning bush! After asking Moses to be His spokesperson to Pharaoh, Moses pleads with God that he is not a very good public speaker; someone else should do it. God complies, and uses Aaron alongside Moses. Moses doubts God`s power. And then all the plagues. Moses fails to see that God is using these plagues to display His glory. He simply sees them as failed attempts to get Pharaoh to let the people of Israel go. Finally, once the Israelites are set free, they are actually led by a cloud from God during the day, and a pillar of fire at night! Unfortunately, they are still scared of the Egyptians, and don`t trust that God will actually deliver them.
I read these Scriptures and almost chuckle at the Israelites. Then, I sober up and realize how I am really not that much different from them. They didn`t have the whole story like I do. From the beginning of their captivity in Egypt, I know that God will deliver them after 10 plagues and part the Red Sea for them to cross, meanwhile drowning their pursuerers! Likewise, I do not have the whole story of my life. And too often, in the busyness of daily living, or surviving, I don`t stop and recognize God`s hand in everyday situations. The Lord will be with you; you need only to be still. Lord, help me to be still. Instead of jumping in and trying to solve issues on my own, give me wisdom and discernment to see the bigger picture. I do not have to worry about the battle for my son`s soul now. I need only to pray, be immersed in the Lord`s promises, and remember: The Lord will be with you; you need only to be still.

No comments: