May 30, 2009

TRUTHS Part 5

This is the last post on the truths Nancy Leigh DeMoss highlights in summary of the Bible study.

Truth #21 My suffering will not last forever
2 Corinthians 4:17-18 "For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."
When we actually think with an eternal perspective this is a powerful truth to hang to. Life is hard. There's no way around it. All of creation groans, waiting to be redeemed. There will be war, famine, sickness and death until the end, which is actually the beginning. But my God is a purposeful God, and there are no such things as 'happenstances' or chance. Everything that He allows into my life (every hardship and sorrow) has been filtered through Him and is only there to achieve His purposes in my life.

Truth #22 It's not all about me; it's all about Him
Colossians 1:16-18 "For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy."
There is a basic obstacle I must overcome; the world does not revolve around me. What was I created for? If I was created to be happy and enjoy life, than anything that gets in the way of that is going to become my enemy. However, if I was created for God's purposes and His glory, than I can stop pursuing personal happiness (which isn't going to bring lasting fulfillment anyway) and focus on the person this universe is really all about, and that is my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. This is a daily laying down of self, because I am evil. It comes naturally to be concerned about myself. To preserve my own life, to do all I can to make myself happy and comfortable.


I can't say enough good things about this Bible study and how it's brought light to so many areas in my life. This is one that will be revisited over and over again for sure, and probably passed along too. Initially, when I read over the 40 lies that Nancy decided to focus the book on, I kind of shrugged and said to myself, "Yeah, I know all that." What I didn't know, is how deep those lies actually run in my life, and how hidden they can be. Satan really is a trickster, He is the master of disguise. Even things that seem good and worth pursuing have been revealed to me as another one of Satan's tactics to get me off course.

I would say the number one thing that I've come away with after finishing this study, is realizing once again the importance of hiding God's word in my heart. I must saturate my mind in His truth, memorize the Scripture, and renew my thinking.

No comments: