July 4, 2007

James 1:19-27 ~ July 4, 2007

Vs 19) Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry. When I am talking about something and not really listening to the other person, it is far to easy to become angry because I'm not really being listened to either. If I don't respect them when they are talking, why would they listen to me when i start giving my side? Man's anger does not bring about the righteous life God desires; therefore, we're not pleasing God when we are angry in this way.

Vs 21) Now that I have been freed from my old sinful nature, I mustn't follow in its old pattern. By saturating my mind with God's word and what he says for me to do, I will live a life that pleases Him!

Vs 22) So, "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves, do what it says." God's word is of no value to me if I don't obey it and apply it to my life. Vs 25, "But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it -- he will be blessed in what he does." God's word is the perfect law that gives freedom. Imagine that, a book of "rules" or "guidelines" that gives freedom to those who obey it! This freedom is, of course, freedom from sinning. Knowing how to make the right decision, how to react in circumstances, and how to love and avoid bitterness. Freedom from being a salve to sin. We now have the knowledge to know what to do instead of sin - now we must be obedient.

No comments: