January 22, 2010

"Green Cleaning." Me?

This has been a long time in coming, and I was finally inspired to put feet to what I have wanted to do.

I am going to gradually start going green when it comes to cleaning products that I use around my house.

I am not overly "green" conscious when it comes to ordinary day to day living. I use paper towel; I use wet wipes on occasion. We use paper coffee filters and ... dryer sheets! Besides keeping the environment a bit cleaner, I am mostly motivated to go green when it comes to cleaning products because of the toxic chemicals many commercial cleaners contain. I have been a long-time user of Windex, and........ bleach! Ah!


So, for my first "green" switch, we head to the laundry room. The scent of Bounce sheets is so overwhelming, and I actually like that smell, but the thought of the oils on those sheets ruining even more of my clothes, and breathing in toxic chemicals is enough for me stop using these! Not to mention the fire hazard they are to my dryer over time.

I googled homemade dryer balls and came up with many many webpages explaining how to make wool dryer balls. Following the simple instructions at http://www.savvyhomemade.com/homemade-dryer-balls.html, I now have two 5-inch wool balls sitting in my dryer waiting to fluff up our clothes and towels. Not only that, but I found that simple vinegar can be used instead of fabric softener in my washing machine!
Goodbye commercial fabric softeners! Hello vinegar and 100% wool.

No comments: