April 20, 2009

Today In History - God IS on the Throne!

April 20, 1999: Ten years ago today marks the anniversary of an event that shook the United States and Canada. The shootings at Columbine High School took place and 12 students plus one teacher lost their lives to these troubled shooters, who also ended their own lives after the crime. It's during events such as these people wonder where God is and ask questions such as: How could He allow such horrific and terrifying things to happen? Why did my son/daughter have to lose their life in such a meaningless and horrible way? Is there a God out there anyway?

(An aerial view shows students being led from the high school)

I can only trust that God is right where He says He is: "God reigns over the nations; He is seated on his holy throne." (niv) Psalm 48:7. This does not mean He is uninvolved and just sitting there. He is in control, orchestrating these events for His glory, believe it or not! Throughout history God has used man's sinfulness to bring people to Himself. As traumatizing as these events are, the only way to cope with them is turn to God Himself and trust in His plan, to submit to His authority.

Hear my cry, O God;
Give heed to my prayer.
From the end of the earth I call to You when my heart is faint;
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For You have been a refuge for me,
A tower of strength against the enemy.
Psalm 61:1-3 (nasb)

No comments: