May 6, 2008

Reality Check - I am so thankful

My husband came home from work last night and told me a story about somebody's close friend at work. This friend has a little girl (about our own daughter's age, 2) and she was playing in the soccer field where her daddy plays soccer with other friends. Last weekend she was perfectly happy and healthy, running around, being two. :) Shortly afterward, perhaps that evening, she started coming down with flu-like symptoms... by Monday or Tuesday evening, she was airlifted to Children's Hospital. But before they arrived at the hospital, she had already passed away. The doctors diagnosed her with bacterial meningitis.

After hearing this story, I feel thankful to have my daughter with me each day, and I am also reminded of how fragile life really is; we really don't know what our futures hold. But we do know that God knows each day of our lives. I am reminded of one of my favourite hymns: Because He Lives

-- Because He lives I can face tomorrow,
Because He lives all fear is gone;
because I know He holds the future.
And life is worth the living just because He lives.

No comments: