January 18, 2008

HomeMade Tomato Soup

This is a recipe I found and adapted to the ingredients I had on hand the other day. My daughter and I have been enjoying this and pitas with melted cheese for lunch this week. A must try.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HomeMade Tomato Soup

2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 Cloves Garlic (rough chop)
1 Onion (rough chop)
3 Celery Stalks (rough chop)
2 Carrots (rough chop)
Salt & Pepper
1q Chicken Stock (divided)
1 T Dry Oregano
1 28oz Can of crushed Tomatoes
1/2 t Sugar
1/2 t Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1 t Paprika
1 tiny pinch of Cumin

Saute onions, garlic, celery, carrot in a soup pot with the extra virgin olive oil. Season with Salt and Pepper. Stir every now and then and cook for about 4-5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.

Add a splash of chicken stock with oregano and other spices. Puree veggies until smooth. (I used my Braun hand puree-er, so I added the whole box of Chicken stock so it wouldn't splash at me in the soup pot. Much easier than dirtying my food processor.)

Add Tomatoes, remaining Chicken Stock, Sugar, red pepper flakes. Bring to a bubble and let simmer while making grilled cheese or another side you wish to serve as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This soup is packed with vegetable goodness, and the best part is, they're pureed, so nobody can pick the veggies out! The first time I tried serving this to my daughter, she didn't eat it as she was more interested in the pitas and pickles and cheese. Today, I served her the soup first, without showing her a plate of other food, and she gobbled it up.

No comments: